East Africa

Egypt Church bomb update: terrorist named by President Asisis

The Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi revealed today (Monday 12 December) that the terrorist attack at the weekend was carried out by 22-year-old Mahmoud Mostafa Shafiq who was wearing a suicide vest.

The president further added that four people, three men and a woman, had been detained in connection with the attack last Sunday, which killed 27 people in the church and injured almost 50. Police are searching for two more suspects,

“Terrorism targets the country’s and Copts and Muslims… Egypt will only be made stronger and more united in such

circumstances,” the president said in another statement. He vowed to hold accountable the assailants and put on trial all who have “incited, facilitated or participated” in the terrorist attack. The president described the Sunday church attack, as well as the Friday blast in Giza that left six policemen dead, as part of “a war against the great Egyptian people.”

Others who joined in the condemnation of the attack include; Egypt’s Al-Azhar, the world’s oldest seat of Sunni Islamic learning, The Anglican Church in Egypt, saying that “such an attack would not stop people from standing united in the face of terrorism.” And the British ambassador in Egypt John Casson who said he was “appalled” by the attack. The United Arab Emirates foreign minister Abdallah Bin Zayed, French Minister of Foreign Affairs Jean-Marc Ayrault and the US Embassy in Egypt also condemned the attack.